The Storm Lake Fire Department responded to 214 Kenzy Street and arrived to find heavy black smoke coming from an open door on the north side of the residence. Fire fighters entered the residence and extinguished a fire burning on the living room floor at the base of a Christmas tree.
An investigation determined that an apparent electrical short in an extension cord leading to the Christmas tree lights ignited packages under the tree.
No one was home during the fire and no injuries were reported.
Fire damage was limited to a small area in the living room with moderate smoke damage throughout the residence. Damage is estimated at $4,000.
The fire department was on scene for approximately one hour and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department and the Buena Vista County Sheriffs Department.