Cherokee Fire Chief Gary Chase said around 3:00-am, a police officer driving by the residence, at 223 Euclid Street, owned by Steve Nixon, spotted the fire, then woke up 3 family members in the house, getting them evacuated safely.
Chase said the fire originated in the front porch of the residence, and was determined to be caused by an electrical malfunction. When firefighters arrived, the front porch was fully engulfed in flames. It was noted there were functioning smoke detectors in the house.
There were three family cats that perished in the fire. There was no dollar amount of damage given, but Chase said the house sustained heavy fire damage, and the smoke damage was severe, inside the home, as well. The three residents of the home are now staying with other family members.