Firefighters managed to keep the fire from spreading to the house, Brian Dykstra called in the fire, after he noticed an orange glow outside the house. He then called for his wife and five children to get out of the house.
As the family was leaving the house Dykstra saw his pickup was on fire. .After the fire was extinguished, Worthington Fire Chief Rick von Holdt wasn’t sure exactly how the fire started. The pickup was a diesel, and was plugged into a block heater. While it wasn’t confirmed von Holdt believes it may have been either a faulty block heater, or engine heater that caused the fire.
Firefighters were on the scene until approximately 4:30-am. The displaced family was assisted with emergency needs by the Southwest Chapter of the American Red Cross, including emergency shelter and immediate financial assistance for food.