Local

Mattress Fire

Photo: KICD AM

Mattress Fire

Storm Lake, IA (KICD)–No injuries were reported after a mattress fire at a Storm Lake home on Saturday afternoon.

The Storm Lake Fire Department responded to 219 West 7th Street at approximately 3:41 p.m and arrive to find smoke coming from several second story windows. The occupants of the home, a father and son, had escaped from the residence without injury.

A first responding police officer deployed a fire suppression grenade into the house prior to the arrival of the fire department which was later determined to have greatly slowed the spread of the fire. Fire fighters entered the residence and extinguished a fire at the bottom of the steps leading to the second floor along with several small fires on the second floor.

It was found that the fire was caused by a 12-year-old boy who was playing with a cigarette lighter in a second floor bedroom and accidentally caught the bed mattress on fire. The boy and his father attempted to carry the burning mattress down the stairs, leaving it at the bottom of the steps before escaping from the house.

Fire and heat damage to the residence, owned by Maria Tapia of Storm Lake, is estimated at $20,000.The fire department was on scene for approximately 1.5 hours and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department and the Buena Vista County Paramedics.