Spencer, IA: (Oct. 22, 2013) – In what is being hailed as a big victory for U.S. pork producers, Chile has determined that no action should be taken to limit pork imports, including those from the United States.
Chile had initiated a “safeguard” investigation in May on all imported frozen pork, including imports from the United States. Under international trade rules, safeguard measures are temporary emergency actions against imported products that have caused or threaten to cause serious injury to the importing country’s domestic industry. The Chilean Pork Producers Association alleged that pork imports caused losses to its producers and called for a 14.3 percent additional duty on imported pork.
But, after a 90 day investigation, a Chilean commission decided the measures were not needed. They found Chilean pork producers have a ninety-five percent share of the domestic market and they have increased their sales in the export market.
Randy Spronk, a pork producer from Edgerton, Minnesota and President of the National Pork Producers Association, says he’s pleased with the determination. He says Chile is the 12th most-valuable export destination for U.S. pork, with sales there last year worth $42 million.