Memorial Day Observances:
- The Spencer Memorial Day parade starts at 9:30 at the Clay County Administration building and proceeds to Riverside Cemetery. The program begins at 10am to be followed by dedication of the Avenue of the flags. The legion serves a pulled pork barbecue meal from 11:30-1:30 for a free will offering.
- The Spirit Lake Memorial Program has been moved inside to the Sami Center at 10am. The parade and flag display at the courthouse have been cancelled. Following the ceremony there will be free hotdogs at the Spirit Lake VFW.
- The Lake Park Memorial Day program will be held at 10am at the Harris Lake Park school auditorium. Follwing the indoor ceremony new flags will be dedicated at Silver Lake Cemetery. Volunteers are being sought to help place the flags at 7:30am Monday and take them down at 5pm Monday.
- Linn Grove Memorial Day Services will be at 9:30 at Barnes Township Cemetery with refreshments afterward in the Lutheran Church. IN case of rain the program will also be held at the church.
- The Melvin American Legion will perform services at 10:30am at Baker Township Cemetery. Bring your own lawn chair.
- The Sioux Rapids Graber Rowe Post hosts a Memorial Day program Monday, May 25th at 10am at Lone Tree Cemetery. Coffee and donuts served 11am-1pm. In case of rain the ceremony will be held at the Legion Hall.
- Paul’s Cemetery Association will hold services at 11am. Lunch to follow in the church basement.
Memorial Day Meal in Peterson 5/25:
The Peterson United Methodist Church hosts a Memorial Day Meat Loaf meal from 11am-1pm. Adults: $7.50 Children: $3.50.
Everly Library Summer Reading Events:
- Scholastic Book Fair May 19th – 23rd.
- Register now for the Kid’s Summer Reading program. This year’s theme is “Everyday Heroes.” Tweens and Teens will meet on Wednesdays, 4th grade and younger will meet on Thursdays.
- Iowa Public TV’s Kid’s Club host Dan Wardell visits the library June 9th at 4pm.
Arnolds Park Summer Reading Events:
The summer reading program at the Arnolds Park library kicks off June 3rd at 10am. The summer’s events include story times, visitors, and field trips.
Medical Benefit Ride 5/30:
There will be a benefit ride and dinner May 30th at the 5:13 bar in Spencer to defray medical expenses for Jerry Peterson who was injured in an auto accident. Registration at 2pn, the ride at 2:30, Dinner at 6:30, and auction at 7pm. To donate ahead of time phone Kay at 580-2337.
Biker Sunday in Estherville 5/31:
Grandview Baptist Church in Estherville hosts its 6th annual Biker Sunday May 31st. Church services are at 9am with “The Blessing of the Bikes” at 10:30.
Spencer Area Activity Center Schedule for Week of 5/18:
Monday: Exercise, Nickel Bingo, Bridge, and craft class.
Tuesday: 500, Cribbage, and Nickel Bingo
Wednesday: Exercise, Canasta, and Pass 4 Pinochle.
Thursday: Exercise, Nickel Bingo, and Bridge.
Friday: Hy Vee bakery giveaway (Two items per person), Exercise, Pass Pinochle, Canasta.
** Omelet Breakfast Sunday, May 31st from 9am-1pm at the Spencer Area Activity Center. Free will donation. Ingredients include: mushrooms, green peppers, onions, sausage, and cheese. Cinnamon rolls will also be served.
For Information on the Spencer Area Activity Center phone 262-1782
Palo Alto County Conservation Department:
- Summer Kick Off for Girls Thursday, June 4th from 9:30-12:30 at Kearney Park. Registration deadline is May 29th. Call 712-837-4866.
- Summer Explorers program at Lost Island Nature Center June 8th – 11th. Registration Deadline is May 29th.
- Summer Explorers program at Kearney Park July 6th – 9th. Registration deadline is
Baseball Exhibit at Clay County Heritage Center:
The summer exhibit at the Clay County Heritage Center is “Celebrate Clay County Baseball”. Highlights include displays about the various school teams that have won state championships, the city teams that played each other, and the semi-pro “Spencer Cardinals”. The museum is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 10-4; Thursdays 10-6; and Saturdays 10-3. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for kids 5-12.
Arts on Grand:
The new exhibit at Arts on Grand is “Arbitrated Grounds” by Buena Vista Professor (and Webb native) David Boelter.
Autism Spectrum Support Group of Northwest Iowa
The Autism Spectrum Support Group of Northwest Iowa meets the third Monday of every month from 7pm to 8:30pm at Hope Reformed Church in Spencer. New members are welcome.
Dickinson County Diabetic Support Group 6/1:
The Diabetic Support Group in Dickinson County meet s Monday, June 1st at 7pm at the Birg Spirit Room at Lakes Regional Healthcare. The topic will be walking and healthy feet.