Road Closed in Arnolds Park:
The intersection of West Okoboji Grove Road and South Okoboji Grove Road will be closed for sewer repairs from approximately September 28th through October 12th.
Spencer Community Theatre New Season:
The new season of Spencer Community Theatre begins with Neil Simon’s “The Odd Couple” October 9th-11th and 16th -18th. Box office hours are 11-5:30 Monday through Friday. The phone number is 262-7336.
Monika Gray Medical Benefit 10/10:
There will be a medical benefit for Monika Gray Saturday, October 10th at the Dickens Community Center. A pulled pork dinner will be served 11-3 for a free-will offering with a bake sale also taking place. Or you may leave donations at the State Bank in Spencer.
This Month at Spencer Public Library:
- October 5th. DIY Club at 6:30pm. Making old books into pumpkins.
- October 19th. Adult movie night. “San Andreas” starring Dwayne Johnson.
- October 26th at 6:30pm. Book to movie night. Read “October Sky” then watch the movie.
Upcoming Events at Spencer Area Activity Center:
- Monday: Exercise, Nickel Bingo, and Bridge.
- Tuesday: Nickel Bingo, 500, and Cribbage.
- Wednesday: Exercise and Pass 4 Pinochle.
- Thursday: Exercise, Nickel Bingo, and Bridge.
- Friday: Exercise and Pass Pinochle. Board of Director’s meeting at 9am. Open to the public.
White Drug Flu Shot Clinic 8:30-11:30 Wednesday October 14th.
Saturday Bingo: Doors open at 4pm. Games start at 6pm.
Upcoming Events at Spencer Public Library:
- Monday 9/21: Baby Storytime at 6:30 and Movie Night at 7pm.
- Tuesday 9/22: Storytime at 10:30am. Tween Book Club at 4pm. Teen Book Club at 6pm.
- Thursday 9/24: Passport Club “Taste the World of Argentina.”
- Friday 9/25: Storyteller Pippa White with the story of the Orphan Train at 7pm.
- Saturday 9/26: Anime and Japanese Culture Club at 10, Fandom Club at noon teen movie at 2pm.
Upcoming Events from Palo Alto County Conservation Board:
- Nature Walk Tuesday, September 22nd. Meet at the river bridge off Burns Road at 9am. Wear walking shoes and bring binoculars if you have them.
- Joint program with the Emmet County Conservation board – Outdoor Women’s Workshop Saturday, September 26th from 8:30am-4pm at the Emmet County Nature Center on Ingham Lake. Call 712-867-4422 to register.
- The final canoe event of the fall is September 24th at 9am at Salton Park on the North side of Silver Lake. Phone 712-837-4866 to reserve a canoe.
Mothers of Preschoolers:
“MOPS” or “Mothers of Preschoolers” meet the first and third Thursdays of the month for fellowship at Hope Church in Spencer. Childcare is provided. Meetings run 9am-11am and range from speakers to crafts and snacks. For information ahead of time phone: 712-262-3016.
Baseball Exhibit at Clay County Heritage Center:
The summer exhibit at the Clay County Heritage Center is “Celebrate Clay County Baseball”. Highlights include displays about the various school teams that have won state championships, the city teams that played each other, and the semi-pro “Spencer Cardinals”. The museum is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 10-4; Thursdays 10-6; and Saturdays 10-3. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for kids 5-12.