Crazy Quilt Class at Heritage Center 10/23:
Parker Historical Society offers a Crazy Quilt class Thursday, October 23rd at the Clay County Heritage Center in Spencer. Classes with Lynn Swan will be offered at 1pm or 4pm. Fee is $20. Pre-register at the Heritage Center or call 262-3304.
Bingo Night at Sacred Heart 10/25:
Spencer Sacred Heart Catholic Daughters and Knights of Columbus host a bingo night Sunday, October 25th at the Parish Center. A light supper will be served at 6:30 with games starting at 7pm. A suggested donation of $5 per bingo card will be accepted. Proceeds benefit youth programs.
Archer Methodist Bazaar and Luncehon 10/25 – 10/26:
The Archer United Methodist Church celebrates its 64th annual “Lord’s Acre Day” Saturday October 25th and their Quasquicentennial as a congregation Sunday October 26th. Saturday’s events are a bazaar, silent auction, fishing pond for kids at 11, and a lunch served from 11 to 1. Sunday’s church service at 10:30 will feature memories from the church and a catered meal at noon.
Lost Island Soup Supper 10/26:
Lost Island Lutheran Church will hold a soup supper Sunday, October 26th from 4-7pm with a variety of soup, homemade bread and pies. Free will offering. The church is located between Graettinger and Ruthven on N-26.
Eastern Star Sampling Supper 10/27:
The Spencer Eastern Star Sampling Supper is Monday, October 27th from 5:30 – 7pm at the Masonic Building. $8 per person or $14 per couple. Sample items from this year’s cookbook and take the cookbook home with you.
Palo Alto County Halloween Hike 10/28:
The Palo Alto County Conservation Board will host their annual Halloween Hike Tuesday, October 28th at the trails at Lost Island Huston Park North of Ruthven. Guides with lanterns will guide children down the trail to meet a variety of character. The hike lasts about 40 minutes and departs every 10 minutes from the South Picnic shelter. Reservations are required by phoning 712-837-4866. Cost is $1 per person.
CAASA Free Community Training Session 10/28:
CAASA will host a free community training session October 28th on prevented the sexual abuse of children. The session will take place at 6pm at First Congregation Church in Spencer. To register 712-732-8120.
Halloween Trick or Treat Parade 10/31:
KICD, Lite 104.9, and CD 107.7 will be participating in the Halloween Trick or Treat Parade at Southpark Mall. Children can trick or treat inside at all of the store that night from 5-6:30pm.
The Southpark Mall is also collecting non-perishable food items for the Upper Des Moines Food Pantry until November 11th. You can drop off items while you’re at the mall for Trick or Treat night.
Sanborn School Harvest Sale 11/1:
The Sanborn Christian School will host its annual meal and auction Saturday, November 1st at the school. A pulled pork and creamed chicken lunch will be served from 11:30 to 1, children’s store will open at 1, and an auction at 1:30.
Turkey Dinner in Greenville 11/1:
Greenville Congregational Church will hold a turkey dinner Saturday, November 1st at 11am. $10 for adults, $5 K-6th grade, Pre-schoolers eat free. An auction and sale will follow at 1pm.
Benefit Omelet Brunch at Camp Okoboji 11/2:
Camp Okoboji in Wahpeton will host an omelet brunch. Sunday, November 2nd from 9:30-1pm.
Hartley Fire Breakfast 11/2:
The Hartley Fire Department will serve breakfast Sunday, November 2nd from 7am-1pm at the Hartley Community Center. The menu includes eggs, sausage, French toast, and pancakes.
Spirit Lake Knights of Columbus Soup and Pie Supper 11/2:
The Spirit Lake Knights of Columbus host their annual soup and pie supper Sunday, November 2nd at 4pm at the Dickinson County Expo Center (the fairgrounds) in Spirit Lake. Tickets are $10 at the door or $8 in advance for adults. Kids 6-12 are $3:50 and children under 6 eat free. The five soups are: Chili, vegetable beef, chicken noodle, oyster stew, and sauerkraut sausage.
Rock for Vets Dinner and Concert 11/11:
The annual Rock for Vets dance presented by the Iowa Rock and Roll Music Association will be held at Village West Convention Center. Galaxy and Glenn Henricksen perform 6:30 to 9pm. Free admission for veterans and $10 for the public. You’re also encouraged to wear patriotic colors.
Spencer Library Schedule:
October 20th: The 3rd brainstorming session as you write your novbel.
October 27th: Book to Movie Night. Watch the classic movie “Frankenstein” starring Boris Karloff. Registration required.
Arts on Grand:
- Photography class with Mark Hirsch Wednesday, October 29th 1-6pm. $50 for members. $60 for non-members.
- Films for the Cinematically Disadvantaged:
- Monday October 20th: “Salaam Bombay” from India. 7pm at Carey’s Electronics.
- Monday October 27th: “Populaire” from France. 7pm at Carey’s Electronics.
This week at Spencer Area Activity Center:
Monday: Music by Cousin Jerry, exercise, crafts, nickel bingo, and Bridge.
Tuesday: Music by Cousin Jerry and 500.
Wednesday: Exercise, Canasta, and Pass 4 Pinochle.
Thursday: Music by Cousin Jerry, Nickel Bingo, and Bridge.
Friday: Hy-Vee Bread Giveaway (2 loaves per person), Pass Pinochle and Canasta.
For Information on the Spencer Area Activity Center phone 262-1782.
Miscellaneous Community Events:
- Hartley’s Craft Show is Saturday, November 1st from 9am to 3pm at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. Baked Goods will also be sold and a hot sandwich and mashed potato meal will be served for $7.50. Proceeds benefit Camp Okoboji.
- Fall Boutique Saturday, October 25th at the Royal Community Building. Many vendors will be there from 9:30 – 2pm and a lunch will be available.
- This year’s Holiday Stroll in Royal is Sunday, November 23rd. If you’d like to decorate a tree and/or reserve a table for the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Miscellaneous Church Events:
- Harbor of Joy Lutheran Church in Milford begins Christmas program practice Wednesday October 15th. The program is December 14th. If you’d like to be part of the choir contact musical director Bob Floss.
- Crossroads Community Church of Estherville has Trunk of Treat Night Saturday, October 25th from 5:30-7:30pm. A loose meat sandwich meal will be served for $5.
- Trunk or Treat at Harbor of Joy Lutheran Church in Milford Friday, October 31st from 5-6:30pm.
- Mike Keyes – a missionary serving the Philippines for over 30 years will speak at the Living Word church in Spencer at 9:30am Sunday, November 9th.
Autism Spectrum Support Group of Northwest Iowa
The Autism Spectrum Support Group of Northwest Iowa meets the third Monday of every month from 7pm to 8:30pm at Hope Reformed Church in Spencer. New members are welcome.
Spencer Area Parkinson’s Support Group 10/27:
The monthly meeting of the Spencer Area Parkinson’s Support Group will meet Monday, October 27th at 10:15am at the Spencer Y. The meeting will be held while Parkinson’s patients will be taking an exercise class. For more information phone 580-2563.